Payment and Benefits
As a community hospice, our mission is to ensure that everyone in our community needing hospice care receives it. Our services are covered by Medicare, Medicaid, managed care, private health insurance and private pay. Through the community’s generous support to Suncoast Hospice Foundation, we can help cover care and other essential needs for those having difficulty paying.
Call Us Today
For more information about payment or enrollment, please contact us at (813) 651-7300.
Medicare Hospice Benefit
Medicaid Hospice Benefit
If you are uninsured and in need of hospice services for yourself, your child or other family members, you may apply for Medicaid and possibly receive Suncoast Hospice of Hillsborough services under a Medicaid plan. Once enrolled in Medicaid, all hospice services listed above will be covered for you or your family member.
Suncoast Hospice Foundation
If you do not have insurance and are unable to pay for care, we are able to provide services thanks to the community’s generous contributions to our Suncoast Hospice Foundation. Our Foundation also may help you or your family in need of essentials for daily living, such as items from our resale shops, food and utility assistance.
How Do I Claim My Hospice Medicare Benefit?
Your hospice benefit is provided under Part A (hospital insurance). To receive hospice care in connection with your Medicare benefits:
- Your physician and your hospice’s medical director must certify that you have a serious, life-limiting illness and six months or less to live if your illness runs its normal course.
- You must sign a statement indicating that you choose to have hospice care instead of other Medicare-covered benefits to treat your terminal illness.
- Your care must be provided by a Medicare-approved hospice program, such as Suncoast Hospice of Hillsborough.
- Medicare will still pay for covered benefits for any health problems that are not related to your hospice diagnosis.
What Services Will I Receive With The Hospice Medicare Benefit?
When you qualify for hospice care you will have a hospice team available to help you and your family cope with your illness. Your doctor and hospice team will work with you and your family to set up a plan of care that meets your needs. Your plan includes hospice services that are covered by the Hospice Medicare Benefit. Most costs are paid for under the benefit.
Services covered include:
- Doctor’s visits when necessary
- Nursing care
- Medical equipment related to your hospice diagnosis (wheelchairs, walkers, etc.)
- Medical supplies related to your hospice diagnosis (bandages, catheters, etc.)
- Pain and symptom medication related to your hospice diagnosis
- Home health aide services
- Physical, speech and occupational therapies
- Social work, counseling and spiritual care
- Dietary counseling
- Hospice volunteer services
- Grief counseling for you and your family
What Is Respite Care?
Hospice Care If You Are In A Medicare Advantage Plan
Care For A Condition Other Than Your Hospice Diagnosis
You should continue to use the Original Medicare Plan to get care for any health problems that are not related to your hospice diagnosis. The hospice team determines whether any other medical care you need is or is not related to your hospice diagnosis so it will not affect your care under the hospice benefit. You must pay the deductible and coinsurance amounts for all Medicare-covered services. You must also continue to pay Medicare premiums, if necessary.
For more information about the Original Medicare Plan, Medicare Advantage Plans, Medigap and other Medicare Health Plans, look in your copy of the “Medicare and You” handbook mailed to every Medicare household in the fall. If you do not have that handbook, you can visit the Medicare website. You also may get a free copy by calling 1-800-MEDICARE (1-800-633-4227).
For more information about The Hospice Medicare Benefit, visit the National Hospice and Palliative Care Association or the Hospice Association of America websites or call 1-800-MEDICARE. TTY users should call 1-877-486-2048.
Our staff is available to answer your questions about coverage. Call us at (813) 651-7300.